1. How do I sign up to KINTO?
Simply download the KINTO app from the AppStore or GooglePlay, select Sign Up and enter your details, then submit your application.
As soon as your application is approved, you will be able to make your first booking.
2. What do I need to sign up?
Once you have downloaded the KINTO app, you will need the following to sign up:
- Valid full or provisional Australian Driver’s Licence or International Driver’s Licence
- Valid email address
- Valid credit or debit card*
- Mobile number
- A selfie showing your face and the front of your driver’s licence
- A recent document showing your current residential address, such as a utility bill, rental agreement or bank statement.
- Meet our eligibility criteria
* $1 preauthorisation is held to ensure the credit card is valid. This will be released within 7 days.
3. What are the eligibility criteria to join?
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid full or provisional Australian or international driver’s licence with licence type of ‘car'; and
- In the last 3 years, not:
- o Had an application for motor vehicle insurance refused, declined or cancelled;
- o Had your driver’s licence restricted, suspended, cancelled or endorsed with special conditions;
- o Been convicted of, or had any fines imposed for criminal activity; and
- o Had more than 2 motor vehicle claims where you had to pay an excess.
4. How much does it cost to join and use?
There are no membership fees with KINTO – Our bookings have a Duration Fee (hourly or daily fee) and Distance Fee (charge per kilometre that the vehicle is driven). The journey cost depends on how long you book the car for and the distanced travelled. You will also be charged for the following where applicable:
- Insurance Excess Reduction, if selected
- Concierge service, if selected
- Any tolls incurred
- Any infringements
For more information on our fees, click here.
5. Are there any other fees and charges?
Click here to see our fees and charges.
6. How do I pay?
Payment is by debit/credit card with Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We use the debit/credit card stored on your account to process payments. Pre-paid credit cards are not accepted.
7. When will my payments be debited?
Your nominated debit/credit card will be debited 2 hours before your journey is due to start for the booking duration. If payment fails, your booking may be cancelled. Once you have ended your journey, you will be charged for any additional Duration and Distance Fees. Payment for any extras, such as insurance excess reduction, or tolls may be charged up to 7 days after the end of the booking.
8. What if I cancel my booking after I’ve already been charged?
You will automatically be refunded, minus any cancellation fees (if applicable) before the booking commences. There are no refunds after the booking commences.
9. Can I use any smartphone to download the app?
The KINTO app requires the following operating systems as a minimum:
- iPhone – iOS 10
- Android – version 6.0
10. I have an International Driver’s Licence. Can I still join?
Yes, provided you meet our requirements to join, including the eligibility criteria, and your Driver’s Licence is in English or you have an English translation of your licence or an international driving permit.
11. When can I make a booking?
You can make a booking as soon as your application is approved.
12. Is insurance included?
Insurance is included with KINTO.
The insurance excess you are required to reimburse us in relation to a valid claim will vary depending on the driver’s age and is listed below. For a fee, ($2.50 per hour or $25 per day) calculated based on the duration of your booking. The Insurance Excess can be reduced as specified in the Reduced Insurance Excess listed below. The Reduced Insurance Excess applies when you select the Insurance Excess Reduction extra at the time of making each booking for an additional fee per booking. Refer to our Membership Agreement for more information regarding insurance.
Refer to our Membership Agreement for more information regarding insurance.
13. Do I have to clean the car?
Standard cleaning is included, which means our cars are cleaned inside and out on a regular basis. However, we do rely on our members to keep the cars neat and tidy between scheduled cleans. Please remove all rubbish, clean up any spills and sweep up any mess after your booking and if you notice that a car needs a clean, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
Smoking is strictly prohibited in all KINTO cars.
14. Do I have to refuel the car?
You can refuel anytime during your journey and for the benefit of all members we do require you to refuel if the fuel is at a ¼ tank or below before returning the vehicle. Please use the fuel card located in the Member Guide in the glove box and the PIN code located in the booking screen of your KINTO app to pay for fuel. Please note, you may be charged a fee if you end your booking with less than a ¼ tank of petrol.
15. Can I pick up the car from one location and return it to another?
On occasion, we can arrange this for you. To see if it is possible, please contact the KINTO team on 1300 4KINTO. Please note that this must be arranged in advance.
16. What is KINTO Concierge?
KINTO Concierge gives you the option of having the vehicle delivered to and/or picked up from a location that is convenient for you. If you select Concierge as an extra in the app at the time of making your booking, the KINTO team will contact you for further information and provide a quote. Please note that this must be arranged at least 2 business days prior to your booking start date.
1. How do I change my password?
Log into the KINTO app, click on the menu, select My Account, then Update Password. Enter the details requested and click Save.
2. I have forgotten my password. What do I do?
Simply click Forgot Password on the login screen of the KINTO app, enter your email address and a password reset email will be sent to you.
3. How do I update my credit card details?
Log into the KINTO app, click on the menu, select My Account, then Update Payment Method. Click Add a New Payment Card, enter the required details and click Update Payment Card.
4. How do I update my Driver’s Licence details?
Log into the KINTO app, click on the menu, select My Account, then Update Driving Licence. Tap Front of Licence, take a photo of the front of your licence, select Use Photo. Follow these steps for Back of Licence. When done, click Save.
5. How do I update my personal details?
Log into the KINTO app, click on the menu, select My Account, then if you need to update your address or contact number, click on your name, update the fields as required and click Save.
If you need to update your email address, after selecting My Account, click on Email Address, update your email address and click Save.
6. How do I cancel my membership?
Simply send us an email including your details at firstname.lastname@example.org or log into the app, click the menu, select My Account, click Cancel Membership, and then click Cancel My Membership.
7. Which fuel do I use to refill the car?
Please refer to the fuel card holder located in the Member’s Guide in the glovebox or to the back of the fuel cap for each car for fuel details. Most of our cars use E10, Unleaded 91 or Premium Unleaded 95.
8. Where is the fuel card PIN?
The fuel card PIN code can be found in the Current Journey screen in the app.
9. Can anyone else drive the car during my booking?
Only approved KINTO members can drive our cars. Others may drive during your booking only if they are approved active KINTO members. Please refer to our Member Agreement for more information.
10. How do tolls work?
No need to worry, tolls incurred by you during your booking will be charged back to the payment card stored on your account. As we use video tolling, there is a 0.55c surcharge per toll.
11. What if I get a parking or speeding fine?
KINTO does not take any responsibility for infringements incurred by our members. Any infringement notices received which relate to your booking or your use of the vehicle, for example if you parked the car illegally during your booking, will be assigned to you.
Please note that an Administration Fee will be charged for re-assigning an infringement. Click here to see fees and charges.
12. What if the car breaks down?
KINTO cars are covered by 24/7 Roadside Assistance.
Roadside Assistance will provide help in the case of a breakdown, mechanical or electrical fault, flat tyre, flat battery or you have run out of fuel.
If you need Roadside Assistance, call 1300 832 772.
13. What if the car is damaged, low on fuel or dirty?
Please report any damage not already recorded in the KINTO app, low fuel (less than ¼ tank) or cleanliness issues using the KINTO app at the beginning of your booking or call us on 1300 4KINTO.
You may be held liable for damage or cleanliness issues if you don’t report them prior to starting your booking.
14. What do I do if I have an accident?
Please refer to the Member’s Guide located in the glovebox for all the information you need in case of an accident. You must immediately inform us of the accident by calling 1300 4KINTO.
15. What if my phone goes flat?
If your phone does go flat, download the KINTO app onto another phone and log into your account from that device.
16. What if I’m outside of mobile phone coverage?
Once you are logged into the KINTO app, phone coverage is not required to connect to the vehicle. When you travel outside of mobile range, the KINTO app will switch to Offline Mode and will work effectively using Bluetooth only.
17. How far can I drive?
There are no restrictions on how far you can drive but be sure to have booked enough time to cover the whole journey. Remember, there is a charge per kilometre travelled (Distance Fee).
18. What happens if someone breaks into my vehicle? In addition, would I be liable and are my belongings insured?
You are required to report a theft or break in to police as soon as you are aware it has taken place and then call the team at KINTO on 13004KINTO.
Your personal belongings are not covered in the event of theft or damage.
19. What happens if the vehicle is vandalised?
Report it to the police and call the team at KINTO on 1300 4KINTO.
1. How do I make a booking?
Once you have downloaded the KINTO app, signed up and been approved, simply select your required pick up date and time and return date and time and use the KINTO app to search and book, otherwise call us on 1300 4KINTO to make a booking for you.
2. How do I start a booking?
- Open the KINTO app on your mobile phone.
- Open the Current Journey screen (if it does not open automatically).
- Click ‘Start Journey’. This will only become available within 5 minutes of your booking start time.
- Click the unlock button to open the car.
- Report any damage or issues and then start the ignition
Please ensure you charge your mobile phone during your journey otherwise you may not be able to unlock, lock or start the car.
Don’t forget to inspect the car for any damage or low fuel and record it via the app if needed before you start your journey by clicking on Report Damage on the Current Journey screen.
3. Why did my booking get cancelled?
If payment fails, your booking may be cancelled. You can rebook once sufficient funds have been made available on your debit or credit card.
4. When does an hourly booking become a daily booking?
Any booking which reaches the equivalent of the daily fee will automatically move to a daily fee.
5. How long is a daily hire?
Daily fee is for up to 24 hours duration. Once you exceed 24 hours, extra hours will be charged at the hourly fee, until it converts to another day’s hire.
6. How do I start the ignition?
All you need is your phone to access the vehicle via the KINTO app. On most vehicles once you have accessed via the app, you can start the car without a key, by simply pressing the ignition button. For some vehicles, a key is supplied to start, but only after accessing the car via the KINTO app.
7. How do I end my booking?
Return the car to the parking spot you picked it up from, then:
- Open the KINTO app on your mobile phone.
- Open the Current Journey screen (if it does not open automatically).
- Click the lock button to lock the car.
- Click End Journey, complete the checklist and End Journey again.
8. Can I cancel my booking?
You can cancel your booking any time before the booking commences via the app by going to Upcoming Bookings, selecting the booking you would like to cancel, then clicking Cancel. Please note that if you cancel within 2 hours of the start time of your booking, you may incur a cancellation fee.
9. Can I change my booking?
You can change your upcoming bookings in the KINTO app by selecting the booking you would like to change, then click Change Times to change the pickup or return details. The booking fee will either increase or decrease depending on the change.
To change cars, please cancel your booking and make a new booking.
You can only extend a booking that has already started.
10. Can I extend my booking?
You can extend your booking for up to 2 hours via the KINTO app, provided the car hasn’t been booked by another Member. To extend your booking, open the Current Journey screen, click Extend Journey and select the period you would like to extend for. Please note, you are only able to extend your booking once via the KINTO app, additional charges will apply.
If you are unable to extend your booking and don’t think you will return on time, please call us on 1300 4KINTO.
11. What happens if the prices are change after I have made my booking?
If KINTO changes the pricing in the KINTO app after you have made a booking, or whilst you are in a current booking, you will be charged at the fees applicable when you made your booking. However, if you change your booking, the new pricing structure would be applicable to you.
1. My phone won’t connect to the car.
There are a few steps you could take to help fix this:
- a) Restart your phone
- b) "Kill" or completely shut down the app, then reopen the app
- c) Delete the app completely from your phone, reinstall the app, then log back in
If your phone still won’t connect after trying these three steps, give us a call on 1300 4KINTO.
2. I can’t find the park brake.
The park brake location varies depending on the model of your car. There is a car guide in the glovebox of every KINTO vehicle, which explains how to use the car.
The park brake in the Toyota Prius is a foot operated park brake, located in the footwell to the left of the normal brake pedal.
3. I’ve ended my booking but forgotten to lock the car.
To manually lock the car doors: while standing outside the car, open the driver’s door and press the ‘Padlock’ button on the inside of the car door to lock all the doors. Then close the driver’s door, while lifting the outside door handle. If this doesn’t work, give us a call on 1300 4KINTO.
4. I’ve ended my booking but left some possessions inside the car.
Please call us on 1300 4KINTO to organise access back into the vehicle.
5. My fuel card doesn’t work.
Please confirm you are using the correct fuel card PIN code. You will find this in the Current Journey screen in the app. If you are using the correct PIN and the fuel card is still not working, please pay for the fuel. Keep the itemised receipt, and email it to email@example.com with your member and booking details and we will reimburse you.
6. What if someone is parked in my spot?
If another car is parked in the station when you return, please park in the closest legal, unmetered parking space and call us on 1300 4KINTO to let us know where you parked the car.
Please take a photo of the car parked in the KINTO spot, clearly showing the registration number so that we can report it to Council.
If you don’t contact us to let us know where the car is parked, you will be charged a ‘Car Returned to Incorrect Location’ fee.
If you return the car to a car space that is or becomes an illegal car park or a metered car space, you will be liable for any fees and charges incurred as a result.
7. My car isn’t in its station.
If you can’t see the car nearby, call us on 1300 4KINTO.
8. My car won’t start.
Make sure the gear shift is in Park, then place your foot on the brake and press the ‘POWER’ or ‘START’ button.
If you are in a Hybrid, wait for the green READY signal to be displayed, then you can start driving. Don’t worry if you don’t hear the engine start, hybrids are very quiet.
If you need help, call us on 1300 4KINTO.
9. My car won’t lock.
Check your mobile phone to see if you have received any app notifications that may require you to take some action, for example, make sure Bluetooth is on, or call us on 1300 4KINTO for assistance.
10. My car won’t unlock.
Confirm you have the correct car by checking the registration number and location on your booking confirmation email.
Check your mobile phone to see if you have received any app notifications that may require you to take some action. For example, check that Bluetooth is on.
If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, call us on 1300 4KINTO.
11. I can’t make a booking in the app.
Check that your payment card or driver licence details has not expired. If they have, please update them via the app. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 4KINTO.
12. What if no one answers my call to 1300 4KINTO?
KINTO customer service hours are 8am-8pm (AEST), 7 days a week. If we don’t answer or you need help outside those hours, please leave a voicemail and we’ll return your call as soon as possible.
If you need Roadside Assistance, call 1300 832 772.
13. What happens if I am late returning the vehicle?
If you are late returning the vehicle, you will be charged the additional duration fee, the distance fee and a late return fee may also be incurred.
14. How do I dispute extra charges if I do not agree?
If you have received charges that you do not agree with you can call the team at KINTO on 1300 4KINTO.
15. If I needed to make a complaint, where and who would I contact to do this?
If you have any complaint, query or you are unsure of anything please call the team at KINTO on 1300 4KINTO.
Schedule of Fees and Charges
(optional and must be selected at time of booking)
(calculated based on the duration of your booking)
Reduced Insurance Excess*
*The Reduced Insurance Excess applies when you select the Insurance Excess Reduction option at the time of making each booking for an additional fee per booking.